Sunday, March 29, 2009

Banff Day16 (29) Catching Up

Sunday morning is a great time to get some admin type work caught up. Besides working on some research I thought I would update my blog.

March 20th - Another trip to the Whyte Gallery to investigate the archives and artifacts on display ( future inspiration) The Whyte holds a vast amount of work on the history of Banff and the Canadian Rockies and the few hours that I was there was really not enough time but I have started work on a few ideas.

Ashtray and cigarette holders from the 30s - how times have change.
After lunch I walked back in to town to resource the area. Every where you look there are mountains.
On the way back to the Centre the street followed the Bow River which had open water in some spots. I did have to stop a few times to take in the sights (and catch my breath as its all up hill. )

In this picture you may be able to see the river bed rock beneath the water.
A tree growing on the cliff.

Leaning over to the river below.

And there were lots of signs to warn of the possible dangers.
March 22nd- We woke to a good covering of snow that made everything look like a Christmas card.
Some of the music huts

But later the sun came out and it warmed up so I was able to take a few pictures of some the studios in the Leighton Artist community were we worked out of.

#8 studio has been the home away from home for us

A place for writers - the boat was brought in from BC.

Another Studio
March 23rd - 27th What can I say about this pass week ?We dyed!!!!

Donna and Lesley preparing the burners for silk dying ( the mad dyer in the back ground is Ingrid)
I was experimenting with a water base silk dye that required steaming. I had to let the material dry over night before they were steamed , the next morning discovered beautiful crystals growing on everything in a
rainbow of colours.

Silk drying

I also used Fiber Reactive dyes for the cottons.

The dye studio is built in to the mountain.

Silk wrapped in news print for the steamer.

The Steamer.


March 27th -was the opening of our Loose Thread (work in progress)Exhibit at the Other Gallery in Glyde Hall.

This is what I was working on for the last 2 weeks

The opening was well attended


Articulation 7 of 10 - Lesley, Gloria, Linda. Ingrid, Donna, Wendy and Me

March 28th - AGM no time for pictures but we are all still talking to each other . Seen my first robin for 2009. Spring has arrived in the Rockies.

This morning I pressed and packed away some of the silk. I decided I would wait till I got home to press the silk ribbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment